Basis of human morphology 2
Basis of human morphology 2
Academic year 2020/2021
- Course ID
- Teaching staff
- Prof. Alessandro Vercelli (Lecturer)
Dott. Giulia Ronchi (Lecturer)
- 2nd year
- Teaching period
- First semester
- Course disciplinary sector (SSD)
- BIO/16 - anatomia umana
- Type of examination
- Histology of the nervous system and Anatomy I.
Sommario del corso
The course aims to support the basic knowledge of the morphological organization, of the architecture and of the fundamental functional properties of the central, peripheral and autonomic nervous system, and of sense organs.
The course aims also to support the basic knowledge of the cardiovascular system (heart and vessels).
Results of learning outcomes
The student should be able to describe the structures of the central nervous system, and in particular the nuclei and the laminar structures, together with their anatomical connections. She/he must be able to describe the pathway and the innervation of the peripheral nerves and of the autonomic nerves. Moreover, for each structure, she/he should know the basic functional anatomy and the relevance of anatomy in relationship with some neural pathologies.
Students should also be able to describe the structure of the skull.
Finally, students should be able to describe the anatomy of the heart and the structure of blood vessels, together with the main arteries and veins.
Frontal lectures, microscopic and macroscopic anatomy lab, virtual cadaver.
Learning assessment methods
Written and/or oral exam.
- Practical exercises of microscopical (slides) and macroscopical (brain and sections) anatomy;
- Virtual anatomic table;
- Movies of patients affected by nervous diseases.
- Central Nervous System: overall organization. Macro- and micro-anatomy of the spinal cord, brainstem, cerebellum, diencephalon, telencephalon. Sensory, motor, correlative and associative pathways. Lymbic system. Encephalic and spinal meninges. Cerebral ventricles and liquor circulation.
- Peripheral Nervous System: organization (macro- and micro-anatomy) of cranial and spinal nerves.
- Autonomic Nervous System: sympathetic and parasympathetic systems. Enteric nervous system.
- Sense Organs: overall organization. Fundamental morphological characteristics of eye, ear, gustative receptors, olfactory receptors, sense corpuscles and proprioceptors.
- Structure of the skull
- Cardiovascular System: Mediastinum. Anatomy of the heart (chambers, valves, cardiac skeleton, cardiac conduction system, pericardium and wall). Structure of blood vessels. Major arteries and veins. Fetal circulation.
Suggested textbooks and readings
- Standring, Gray's Anatomy, Elsevier;
- Nieuwenhuys, The central nervous system, Springer;
- Paxinos, The human nervous system, Elsevier.