Nephrology, Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology - Module of Nephrology
Academic year 2023/2024
- Course ID
- Dario Roccatello (Coordinator)
Savino Sciascia (Lecturer)
Roberta Fenoglio (Lecturer)
- 4th year
- Teaching period
- First semester
- 3 (24 hours of lectures, 12 hours of exercises)
- Course disciplinary sector (SSD)
- MED/14 - nephrology
- Formal authority
- Type of examination
- Type of learning unit
- Modular course
- Nephrology, Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology (SCB0220)
Sommario del corso
Course objectivesThis course will provide a foundation in knowledge and skills necessary for medical students to recognize the most important medical problems and to construct clinical reasoning models in the field of nephrology.
Results of learning outcomes
Demonstrate knowledge, clinical and technical skills and decision-making capabilities pertinent to the management of patients with medical problems in the field of nephrology
- Assessment of Glomerular Filtration Rate.
- Disorders of Sodium and Potassium Metabolism.
- Approach to Acid-Base Disorders.
- Glomerular Clinicopathologic Syndromes.
- Minimal Change Disease.
- Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis.
- Membranous Nephropathy.
- Immunoglobulin A Nephropathy.
- Goodpasture Syndrome and Other Antiglomerular Basement Membrane Diseases.
- Postinfectious Glomerulonephritis.
- Renal involvement in systemic vasculitis (granulomatosis with polyangiitis, microscopic polyangiitis and eosinophilic granulomatosis with polyangiitis).
- Henoch-Schönlein Purpura Nephritis (IgA vasculitis).
- Lupus Nephritis.
- Pathogenesis, Pathophysiology, and Treatment of Diabetic Nephropathy.
- Dysproteinemias related disorders.
- Thrombotic Microangiopathies and aPL Nephropathy.
- The Kidney in Cancers.
- Acute Kidney Injury.
- Polycystic and Other Cystic Kidney Diseases and Nephronophthisis and Medullary Cystic Kidney Disease.
- Alport Syndrome and Related Disorders.
- Fabry Disease.
- Chronic Tubulointerstitial Disease.
- Urinary Tract Infection and Pyelonephritis.
- Pregnancy in immunomediated and kidney diseases.
- Chronic Kidney Disease and its Therapy.
- Kidney Replacement Therapies: Dialysis and Transplantation.
Lectures in presence, supported/ supplemented by recorded lectures that the students can access online through the platform Moodle
Learning assessment methods
Suggested readings and bibliography
- Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Nephrology & Hypertension
- Year of publication:
- McGraw Hill
- Edgar V. Lerma, Mitchell H. Rosner, Mark A. Perazella
- Oxford Textbook of Clinical Nephrology: Three-Volume Pack (4 edn)
- Year of publication:
- Oxford University Press
- Neil N. Turner (ed.), Neil N. Turner (ed.), Norbert Lameire (ed.), David J. Goldsmith (ed.), Christopher G. Winearls (ed.), Jonathan Himmelfarb (ed.), Giuseppe Remuzzi (ed.)
Students with DSA or disabilities are kindly requested to take note of the reception services and support services offered by the University of Turin, and in particular of the procedures required for exam support.